If you are a homeowner and are considering having your kitchen or bathroom tiled, then you may be wondering if epoxy grout is better than normal grout.
The answer to this question is not simple. Epoxy grout does have some advantages over regular grout, but also has some disadvantages.
In this article, we will examine what epoxy grout is and how it works, as well as look at the advantages and disadvantages of using epoxy grout for your next tiling project.
What is epoxy grout
Epoxy grout is a two-part mixture of resin and sand. It’s used to seal cracks and crevices, as well as for decorative purposes. Epoxy grout is a hard, durable, and non-porous material that comes in a variety of colors and finishes to match your existing flooring.
Epoxy grout can be helpful if you have older concrete or brick surfaces that need sealing or repairing because it will prevent moisture from getting into the cracks—a problem with regular grouts that use cement as the main ingredient.
Table of Contents
- What is epoxy grout
- What is normal grout?
- Is epoxy grout better than regular grout
- Why is epoxy grout better than normal grout?
- What are the disadvantages of epoxy grout?
- Epoxy grout cost
- Can any homeowner have epoxy grout installed in their home
- Should you get a professional to install your epoxy grout
- Here are some takeaway
What is normal grout?
The first step to understanding the difference between epoxy grout and normal grout is to know what normal grout is.
Normal or cement grout is a mixture of cement and sand that you can buy at your local hardware store, and it’s used to fill the gaps between tiles in your bathroom, kitchen, or other flooring surfaces.
Is epoxy grout better than regular grout
Epoxy grout is a popular choice for homeowners to improve the look of their floors. In addition to being aesthetically pleasing, epoxy flooring also provides several benefits over regular grout.
Epoxy grout is more durable than standard tile and stone adhesives because it has a higher resistance to chemicals and other elements that can cause damage to your flooring over time.
It’s stain resistant, waterproof, and abrasion-resistant as well. The durability of epoxy makes it an excellent option for high traffic areas like dining rooms or living rooms where there are kids or pets running around all day long—or anyone else who happens to spill things on their floors!
Why is epoxy grout better than normal grout?
Epoxy grout has a number of advantages over traditional grout. One of the most important is that epoxy grout is more durable than normal grout, and can withstand heavy traffic.
It also has better stain resistance and is less susceptible to mold or bacteria growth.
Epoxy grouts can be used in any area where tile needs to be laid down, including kitchens, bathrooms, and flooring systems.
There are many different types of epoxy available at your local hardware store or online retailer that you can use for different purposes such as commercial spaces or residential homes
What are the disadvantages of epoxy grout?
- Epoxy grout is more expensive than standard grout.
- Epoxy grout is harder to install than regular grout.
- Epoxy grout is harder to repair if you make a mistake in installation or damage it unintentionally.
- The epoxy layer may be difficult to clean depending on the type of flooring you have and how long it has been installed, but this varies a great deal by brand.
- The epoxy layer prevents flexibility in your flooring tiles so that they can crack more easily if subjected to heavy pressure (such as walking across them), which makes them less durable than regular tile floors with flexible joints between the tiles themselves
Epoxy grout cost
When it comes to epoxy grout vs normal grout, the cost is one of the main factors that you need to consider. Epoxy grout is more expensive than normal grout and this might be a big deal for you if you don’t want to spend much on your project.
If you are curious about how much epoxy grout costs, we will try our best to help you get an answer.
Can any homeowner have epoxy grout installed in their home
Yes, you can install epoxy grout yourself. Although it may seem like a complicated process with lots of tools and experience involved, epoxy grouting is actually quite simple.
You will need the right tools:
- Epoxy Grout Powder (available in our store)
- Epoxy Grout Mixing Tool (or any clean mixing utensil)
- A bucket for mixing your grout mixture
Should you get a professional to install your epoxy grout
When it comes to epoxy grout, you have a few options.
You can do it yourself or hire a professional.
If you’re planning to hire a pro, the cost is not very high—only about $40 per square foot for labor and materials.
That’s about one-third of what many contractors are charging for ceramic tile installation.
Since epoxy grout needs to cure for at least 24 hours before you can walk on it, this process takes longer than laying traditional grout. If this is something that will delay your project timeline significantly (beyond one day), then it may be worth hiring someone who knows what they’re doing.
However, if you have access to all of the necessary tools and materials, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t give yourself a shot at installing epoxy grout yourself!
Here are some takeaway
Here are some takeaways:
- Epoxy grout is better than normal grout. It’s stronger, more durable, and more resistant to stains than regular grout
- Normal grout is cheaper than epoxy
- For most people, the extra cost of epoxy doesn’t make sense
In conclusion, epoxy grout is definitely the best choice for your kitchen or bathroom. It is a great investment that will last you years without breaking down.
You will not be disappointed with the results because they are amazing!