As a painter, you know that if your painting is not level, it will be difficult to do anything more than the most basic of painting tasks.
You can’t paint walls or ceilings without getting on your hands and knees! It takes time to make sure things are level.
But what if there was an easier way? What if you could avoid all of this hassle with one simple trick? Well, friends, I’m here to tell you about the quick and easy resin block!
Table of Contents
What Is Resin Block
Resin block is a surface that can create very level painting surfaces. It’s usually used for people who are working with epoxy resin paint, but it works great for any type of paint!
How To Make A Resin Block
It’s really easy to make your own resin block. This will save you money, and give you a lot of flexibility when it comes to using epoxy paint or other types of paint!
First, grab yourself some scrap wood that is about an inch thick (thicker if possible). Cut the boards into even strips until they are all approximately the same size across.
Next, get out your glue gun and start gluing these pieces together like Legos! You can use as many blocks as needed for whatever project you’re working on.
Once the two sides are securely attached, add in several smaller pieces around them just to be sure everything stays put while drying.
Next up? Time for sanding! Sand down any rough edges or uneven parts of your resin block. This will give you the evenest surface possible for painting!
Finally, it’s time to paint or stain your new creation if desired. Congratulations, now you have a brand-new epoxy resin board that can be used on any project and at any angle without worrying about things getting out of control!
Benefits Of Resin Blocks
- They are very easy to make and use.
- There is no limit in the size and shape of the block you can make.
- Materials are easy to find
- Low cost and affordable for most budgets
- Easy to make in a short amount of time
- Can be used in a variety of projects
- Can be used for many projects
Tips For Using The Resin Block
- Heat the area with a heat gun or hairdryer
- Apply pressure to help it set faster
- Use a mold release before pouring in your resin. This will allow you to pop out the finished project without destroying it when it comes time for removal from the block.
- Be patient and let this cure fully, especially in hot conditions! You do not want your project falling apart after spending so much time making this beautiful addition to your space.
- Keep away from pets and children until completely cured as they could knock over an unfinished one causing injury to themselves or damaging your work of art
- Let dry for 24 hours before moving it and use a mold release when pouring the resin to avoid damaging your finished work of art.
- Don’t forget to paint over with some awesome colors once it has cured! Now you have an epoxy resin block that is ready for whatever project you come up with next
Side Effects Of Using The Resin Block
If you don’t use a mold release, your block will be stuck to the molds and it won’t come out.
This material is not recommended for food items as some products used in this resin may include lead or mercury.
It’s best to paint over it instead of using it for food decorating purposes if that is what you are planning on doing with it.
The curing time can take up to 48 hours depending on how thick your layers are so plan ahead!
Other Uses For A Resin Block
- Can be used to make paperweights
- Great for decorating and creating a piece of art in your home or office space.
- Make into an epoxy resin block that is ready for whatever project you come up with next!
- Have fun! It’s just another way to get creative and add some awesome items to any room!
Where Can You Buy Your Own Kit For Making These Yourself At Home
There are several places where you can purchase a kit to make your own resin block.
I have seen them on Amazon, the Hobby Lobby website as well as other craft stores online and in many local areas!
What Is The Difference Between Epoxy Resin Blocks Vs Polyurethane?
The main difference between these two types of products is in how long they take to cure, their strength, and their hardness.
The resins will be softer once cured while the Polyurethanes will have a longer curing time but also tend to be more durable when fully dried out.
Why Is Epoxy So Expensive?
Epoxy resin can be expensive as it is a more complicated product to make and there are many things that go into the process such as chemicals, mixing, heating, etc.
The cost of these products also varies depending on where you purchase them from so shop around!
How Do You Make Colored Resin Blocks?
You can purchase resin blocks that are pre-colored or you can mix on your own to achieve a different color.
You just want to make sure the colors match up and use epoxy resin as this will ensure it cures properly!
Add alcohol if you need to thin out anything before mixing it together. This product is flammable so be careful when doing any of these steps!!
Does Water Affect Epoxy?
Yes, once cured there should not be contact with water which will weaken the bond between layers making them harder to work with and increasing the chance for damage later on down the road.
What Is The Best Resin For Woodturning?
A lot of professional woodturners use urethane resin for this purpose. However, epoxy can also be used to make a block that is ready for whatever project you come up with next!
Make sure the colors match when using this type of product together though! You do not want anything off-color or else your piece will look odd and it may take away from the beauty in some cases.
What Are Good Resins For Lamination?
Epoxy resin works best when considering laminating items including paper products such as cards, flyers, etc… Polyurethanes have been known to peel or bubble once fully dried out which makes them harder to work with if they aren’t mixed properly beforehand so always ensure you follow the directions and read reviews, some products will work better than others even if it is a similar type of product.
How Do You Make A Mold Out Of A Pen Blank?
You will need to first turn your pen blank into a cylinder shape that is roughly the size of your finished product.
Then, you can use epoxy resin as it has been known for being one of the best products out there when trying to make molds from pens and other types of blanks.
Make sure those surfaces are clean before applying any type of adhesive or else they won’t bond together properly!