Wood filler isn’t typically known as a strong material, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it to fill in holes in wood. There are several different types of wood filler with varying strengths and applications. So what is the strongest wood filler?
1. Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler
Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler is a water-based wood filler that is easy to apply and dries fast. It is easy to sand and paint, and it is safe to use on all interior wood surfaces. This product has a 5-year shelf life when stored at 77 degrees Fahrenheit or below, between 40% and 80% relative humidity (RH) with the cap closed tightly.
In addition to the easy application of Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler, this product can be used in any room in your home or office building as long as you are working with non-porous wood products such as cabinets, furniture pieces, and trim pieces around windows/doors/trim, etc., etc.
Table of Contents
- 1. Elmer’s E855 Carpenter’s Wood Filler
- 2. Gorilla Wood Glue
- 3. Minwax High-Performance Wood Filler
- 4. FamoWood 40022126 Latex Wood Filler
- 5. FamoWood 4002212 Glaze Coat Epoxy Kit
- 6. Varathane 269594 Premium Wood Filler
- 7. Titebond 5012 II Premium Wood Glue
- 8. Minwax 21600000 High-Performance Wood Hardener
- 9. Elmer’s E887Q Stainable Wood Filler
- 10. Elmer’s Products, Inc E848 Multi-Purpose Wood Filler
- When it comes to wood filler, the brand matters more than anything else and you should find one that works for you!
2. Gorilla Wood Glue
For water-based wood glue, Gorilla Wood Glue is incredibly strong. It makes an excellent choice for filling holes, cracks, and gaps in your furniture or cabinetry. It’s extremely durable and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
This glue has a slow-drying time that allows you to fill larger cracks with ease, making it ideal for large projects such as building furniture or cabinetry. Once applied to your project surface and allowed to dry completely (about 24 hours), this wood glue will create an extremely strong bond between the two surfaces being joined together.
3. Minwax High-Performance Wood Filler
The Minwax High-Performance Wood Filler is a latex wood filler that can be used to fill cracks, holes, and gouges. It sands easily, adheres well, and is available in several different colors. The only drawback of this product is that it may not be strong enough to hold up against outdoor elements if you’re looking for something you can use on deck rails or other places where rain might hit the wood regularly. However, this makes it an excellent choice for indoor projects like cabinet repairs or anywhere else where the humidity isn’t an issue.
For those who don’t want to worry about matching different shades of stain when staining their project, the Minwax High-Performance Wood Filler also comes in a variety of shades including espresso brown (pictured), walnut cherry, and mahogany tan so there’s no need to worry about matching other shades if you have multiple projects going at once!
4. FamoWood 40022126 Latex Wood Filler
FamoWood 40022126 Latex Wood Filler is a 100% natural latex wood filler that can be used for filling holes, cracks, gouges, and nail holes. It is easy to apply, dries quickly, and is sandable. FamoWood 40022126 Latex Wood Filler is water resistant and will not shrink as it dries.
5. FamoWood 4002212 Glaze Coat Epoxy Kit
To make sure you get the right color, FamoWood recommends that you use their matching stain. The directions are straightforward—just mix the two parts together and apply with a paintbrush.
6. Varathane 269594 Premium Wood Filler
- The price is $7.99 for a 4-oz tube or $29.99 for a 16-oz tub.
- It takes about 30 minutes to dry and harden.
- The product is a white paste made of resin and natural fibers that become hard when dried.
- Application is easy; just scoop it out of the container with your finger, brush it onto the wood, and then wipe off any excess with a damp cloth (It’s recommended that you wear disposable gloves while working with this type of wood filler). If it doesn’t come out smoothly enough from your finger, use a toothpick instead!
- It has no weight at all—0 lbs!! You can even mail it if you wanted to send it via snail mail (snail mail).
It comes with instructions on how best practices when filling in holes or cracks in wood surfaces – but they’re pretty straightforward so we won’t include them here unless you want us to!
7. Titebond 5012 II Premium Wood Glue
Titebond 5012 II Premium Wood Glue is a water-resistant glue that fills gaps and bonds wood. It can be used to repair furniture or other wooden objects, as well as fill cracks.
Mix Titebond 5012 II Premium Wood Glue with water to make a thick paste, then apply it over any surface needing repair or reinforcement.
8. Minwax 21600000 High-Performance Wood Hardener
For large holes, this two-part epoxy from Minwax is a good choice. It’s easy to use, dries quickly, and is made from a high-performance resin.
9. Elmer’s E887Q Stainable Wood Filler
Elmer’s E887Q Stainable Wood Filler and Sealer work on both interior and exterior wood surfaces. It’s easy to apply, dries fast, and dries clear. The filler can be used for filling holes or cracks in wood as well as making repairs after painting or staining.
Elmer’s E887Q is a great choice for filling small holes, especially when you’re working with stained furniture pieces or other items that have already been painted or stained at some point in the past.
10. Elmer’s Products, Inc E848 Multi-Purpose Wood Filler
Elmer’s Products, Inc E848 Multi-Purpose Wood Filler is a great product for interior and exterior use. This wood filler can be used on dry or damp surfaces and is great for filling cracks in wood trim, furniture, cabinets, and other wood products. It’s easy to apply with a putty knife or just your fingertips. Elmer’s Products, Inc E848 Multi-Purpose Wood Filler dries quickly to form a strong bond that will resist water penetration while providing an attractive finish.
Elmer’s Products, Inc E848 Multi-Purpose Wood Filler has an approximate thickness of 0.40 inches after drying according to the manufacturer specifications which means you can use it as much more than just a filler because it will add some strength back to whatever surface it is applied too!
When it comes to wood filler, the brand matters more than anything else and you should find one that works for you!
Elmer’s Products, Inc E848 Multi-Purpose Wood Filler is a great option for your home and will last you a long time! The price is right and it works well on all types of wood surfaces including furniture, cabinetry, floors, and even musical instruments!
Hopefully, the list above has given you a good idea of how to choose the right wood filler for your needs. Remember that no matter what brand or type of wood filler you choose, it’s important to make sure that it’s compatible with your project as well as strong enough to hold up against heavy use if necessary.