Having your furniture damaged is a nightmare, especially if your furniture is made of wood. But don’t worry, this article will show you how to remove wood filler easily and quickly so that you can fix any damage to your furniture without having to spend too much money!
Table of Contents
1. First look at the item
- First, look at the item. See if it is damaged and needs to be fixed.
- If it is not damaged, do not fix it.
2. Know the type of wood filler you need
There are two basic types of wood filler: polyurethane and epoxy resins. Epoxy resins are stronger and more durable than polyurethane, but they take longer to dry and cure.
- Polyurethane wood fillers: These products are used for filling smaller gaps, holes, dents, or scratches in wood surfaces such as furniture or floors. They’re also a good choice when painting over an existing surface that needs to be repaired before repainting.
- Epoxy resin wood fillers: These products offer greater strength than polyurethane fillers do because they’re made from a combination of epoxy resin and hardener (resin without the hardener is called “resin only.”). The resulting mixture is harder than the material you’re trying to fix; however, it sets up faster than its counterpart so it must be mixed just before application so that it doesn’t dry out too quickly during mixing.
3. Prepare the tools you will use to fix all items
- Use a scraper to remove as much of the wood filler as possible.
- Sand any remaining pieces of wood filler using sandpaper, starting with coarse grit and finishing with fine grit.
- Use a paintbrush to clean off any dust that has accumulated on your surface since you started working on it. This will help ensure that your new paint sticks properly to the surface.
- Paint over any dings, dents, or scratches in your furniture before applying new paint so they’re not visible once you’re done!
4. Prepare a new wood filler product that you will use to replace the old wood filler
Now that you have removed the old wood filler, it’s time to prepare your new wood filler product. For example, if you want to use a different brand of wood filler than what was previously used, then you should follow these steps:
- Prepare the new wood filler product. You will want to measure how much product is needed and mix it with water according to the instructions on its packaging. Typically this process involves mixing together two parts of powder with one part of water until they form a thick paste-like consistency (about 1 cup of powder per cup of water). Let this mixture sit for at least 24 hours before proceeding with application.* Apply the new wood filler product.* Wait for the old wood filler product to dry completely (typically 24 hours).* Sand down any rough spots that remain in order to create an even surface.* Use appropriate paint colors on top of your newly prepared base coat in order to get back into painting mode!
5. Remove the old wood filler using a scraper
Use a scraper to remove the old wood filler. This can be done by placing the scraper on the surface of the wood and pulling it toward you like you would use a knife to cut butter.
If you’re having trouble removing all of the old wood filler, try using another tool or method for removing it (e.g., sanding).
6. Sand the item until it looks smooth and clean again
Once the wood filler is gone, it’s time to sand. Sanding will make an item look smooth and clean again, which gives it a nicer look. You can use many different types of sandpaper for this step, but we recommend starting with fine-grit sandpaper and working your way up. The following are all good choices:
- Sanding block
- Sanding sponge
- Sanding belt or disc
You can also use a drum sander or pad if you have one available.
7. Clean up any dust or other dirt using fine sandpaper
From this point forward, you should be working with a fine grade of sandpaper. Do not use rough sandpaper, but do not use one that is too fine. In other words, if you can see the lines in the wood filler (and you probably will), then your sandpaper is too coarse and should be replaced with one that is finer. If there are no visible lines in your wood filler and it feels smooth to the touch, then your sandpaper may be too fine for what you need at this stage.
8. Fix the damage to your furniture as perfect as possible
- Fix the damage to your furniture as perfect as possible
Now that you have removed the filler, you can fix the damage done to your furniture with sandpaper, a paintbrush, and a paint roller or sprayer. Sand off any rough edges and smooth out any uneven spots before filling in any gaps left by removing the wood filler with a putty knife (see step 3). The goal here is to make sure that there aren’t any visible traces of damage remaining on your furniture after this process is complete.
9. Wait for 30 minutes for your furniture to dry properly
After you have allowed your furniture to dry, it is important that you do not touch the item for 30 minutes or use the item for 30 minutes. You should also avoid placing the piece of furniture in direct sunlight for 30 minutes and placing it in a hot place for 30 minutes. If you are using an electric heater, make sure that there is at least one foot between your object and any heat source; this will prevent damage from occurring as well. Finally, do not put an object near freezing temperatures
10. Use appropriate paint colors on your furniture after it dries completely
Now that the wood filler has dried, you’re ready to paint over it. This is where a lot of people get confused and end up using the wrong color of paint. The truth is there are several different ways you can apply for your paint job on your furniture:
- Paintbrush – If you have a small piece of furniture being repaired, then this method might be best for you.
- Paint roller – This should be used when using large pieces of furniture or areas that need coverage quickly. You’ll want to use either synthetic or natural fibers in order to get an even coat on your piece(s).* Paint sprayer – If painting multiple items at once, then this tool will save you time and energy by allowing one person to do all the work (and not having them stand around waiting for each item to dry).
Do not get lazy to take care of your furniture, because this can be a fatal mistake where all of your furniture is damaged
Do not get lazy to take care of your furniture, because this can be a fatal mistake where all of your furniture is damaged.
It is important to take care of your furniture. If you do not take care of your furniture, it can be damaged. You need to be careful and know how to remove wood filler properly.
So, now you have learned how to remove wood filler and you are ready to start working on your furniture. We hope this article was helpful for you and that it answered all of your questions about how to fix problems like this one. If not, please feel free to leave us a comment below!