Is epoxy floor toxic?

I really love the look of epoxy flooring in my garage, but I worry that it is toxic. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Is epoxy flooring safe?

Epoxy flooring is perfectly safe to use indoors. It’s non-toxic, and it is not harmful to human health. In fact, the epoxy you use in your garage, home, or office is not the same as the epoxy used to make boats.

The differences are significant enough that there are no harmful fumes created by your application process or any hazardous waste from its disposal later on.

How toxic is epoxy?

Epoxy is not generally considered toxic. It’s safe to use as long as you take precautions during application.

While epoxy can be toxic when it’s being applied, it’s not toxic once it cures and dries. The curing process involves adding a catalyst or hardener to the layers of resin and hardener that you’ve already mixed together into a liquid form.

Once the catalyst is added, the mixture will begin to cure in about 24 hours at room temperature. However, if left out in high heat or direct sunlight for too long (more than a few hours), it may begin curing before you want it to, causing problems with your project when this happens.

The main thing to worry about when using epoxy products is exposure—both before and after they are cured—to the fumes given off by these products while they’re still in liquid form during the application or while they’re curing afterward

Is epoxy cancerous?

This type of flooring is not known to be harmful to humans. The material is not carcinogenic, meaning it does not cause cancer. It also doesn’t cause birth defects or any other reproductive issues. In fact, there are no known health risks associated with epoxy flooring whatsoever.

Because it’s such a hard surface, you’ll want to ensure that your home has been properly insulated before you install this type of flooring in order to prevent moisture buildup and mold growth in the future—but aside from that, there are no precautions you need to take when using epoxy for your home’s floors!

Is epoxy safe for health?

Epoxy is not safe for use indoors, and it’s not recommended for use in your home. Epoxy flooring should not be used in any room of your house where there are small children or pets, including the kitchen and bathrooms.

If you have young children in your home, it is best to avoid using epoxy flooring material altogether. Children may be tempted to touch or roll on the flooring material because they think it looks cool (or perhaps even sticky), which could result in them accidentally bringing some of the resin into their mouths; this could cause serious harm if swallowed.

It’s also important to make sure that others (including contractors) who come into contact with the resin know about its dangers before working on a project involving epoxy coating materials.

There are many different types of epoxy coatings available today–some safer than others–but all are considered toxic materials by OSHA standards because they contain solvents like methylene chloride that can lead to irritation when inhaled over long periods of time (more than 8 hours per day).

This means that anyone working with these substances must wear protective gear while handling them so as not to breathe them in while mixing or pouring them onto surfaces around their workspace

Is epoxy toxic to breathe?

If you’re applying epoxy yourself, you should wear a protective mask and be sure to have a good ventilation system in your home.

The toxicity of the fumes from epoxy depends on the brand and its ingredients. Epoxy is more toxic than other flooring materials because it produces more fumes when curing.

The fumes can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, shortness of breath, and even nausea if inhaled over time. Inhaling too much epoxy can also irritate your eyes or skin if it gets on them directly after application; this means that wearing gloves and goggles is important while using this material around children or pets who might get into it by accident.

What are the disadvantages of epoxy flooring?

Although epoxy flooring has many benefits, it is not without its drawbacks. The biggest drawback to epoxy floors is that they are susceptible to moisture damage. If you live in a wet climate or regularly have water spills, your epoxy floor may get damaged over time.

In addition, if you don’t clean up any spills right away and let them dry on the surface of your flooring, this could cause discoloration or other damage as well.

Another disadvantage of using an epoxy finish for your flooring is that these types of finishes can be slippery when wet. This means that if there’s even just a little bit of moisture present in an area where someone walks on an epoxy-finished flooring surface (like around sinks or bathtubs), there might be enough slip to cause falls or other accidents.[1]

Another disadvantage associated with using an epoxy finish for your floors is that installing this type of material can be costly compared to some alternatives—especially if you’re hiring a professional contractor instead of doing it yourself! Also, keep in mind that installing any type

Is epoxy safe to use indoors?

The answer is yes, but only if you do it correctly. Before applying epoxy to the floor, you need to make sure that the surface is clean and free from any contaminants such as dust or dirt.

If there are any problems with the underlying surface, you should fix them before applying the epoxy.

Epoxy is typically used for floors in garages and basements, but it can also be used for other indoor projects as well. For example:

  • Epoxy can be used on concrete floors to create a durable floor that stays clean longer than other finishes like paint or varnish
  • Epoxy can be applied over existing wooden surfaces such as stained hardwood floors

Is there a non-toxic epoxy?

You may have heard of a non-toxic epoxy, but that doesn’t mean it’s the same thing as the safe epoxy we’ve been discussing. In fact, there are some manufacturers that advertise their products as being “non-toxic” when they could still be dangerous and toxic to humans (and other living things).

In order for a product to be non-toxic, it has to meet all of these criteria:

  • It must be free of any BPA (Bisphenol A), BPS (Bisphenol S), phthalates, or styrene derivatives.
  • It must not contain VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
  • The surface coating should be either clear or white in color so that you can see what you’re doing without having to touch it and risk exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.


While epoxy flooring is not toxic in normal use, it is important to be aware that it can be dangerous when improperly handled or used. Epoxy floors should always be installed by professionals who are familiar with the material and know-how to safely apply it.

If you are interested in having your floor coated with an epoxy resin or polymer coating, contact us today for a free consultation!

Photo of author

Martin Flood

Martin Flood has been working in the construction industry for over 20 years as a general contractor with expertise in remodeling projects that are large or small. He has furthered his career by specializing in epoxy resin flooring, providing excellent service to both commercial and residential clients. Martin’s experience enables him to offer professional advice on how to choose the right type of project based on your needs and budget.

Leave a Comment