does epoxy resin release harmful fumes?

Epoxy resin is a polymeric material that is used in a variety of different applications. It can be used for coating, casting, and laminating. Some of the common uses for epoxy resins include an adhesive, casting material for making jewelry or other objects, decoupage, fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) lamination, surfboard building material, and more. Epoxy resin is created by the reaction of a resin and a hardener.

In order to help you understand what epoxy resins are and how they work, we have listed some frequently asked questions about them below:

Are fumes from resin toxic?

Yes, epoxy fumes are toxic. Epoxy fumes are considered a health hazard because they contain styrene, which has been linked to cancer in humans, and other toxic compounds that have adverse effects on the nervous system.

Long-term exposure to epoxy fumes can lead to symptoms such as headache, nausea, and dizziness. While there is no evidence of long-term damage from inhaling resin fumes over brief periods, it’s best not to take your chances and wear an appropriate respirator mask while casting your work.

Is epoxy resin safe to use indoors?

Epoxy resin is not a risk-free material to work with. The curing process can be toxic and cause health issues, so knowing how to use it safely is crucial for any resin artist.

  • Resin fumes can cause respiratory issues.
  • Fumes from epoxy resins can cause eye irritation and even blindness if you do not take precautions to protect your eyes and face.
  • Resin fumes can also irritate your skin and lead to burns if you do not wear gloves while using resin.
  • Epoxy resins contain neurotoxins that may irritate your nervous system or even damage some of its parts permanently.
  • They may also affect fertility, causing problems during pregnancy or birth defects in the unborn child, so pregnant women should be especially careful when working with epoxy resin (in fact, they should avoid it altogether).
  • Some types of epoxy resins have been linked with various forms of cancer as well, including liver tumours, bladder tumours and vaginal cancers.

Is epoxy resin toxic after curing?

Epoxy resin is not toxic after curing. However, an epoxy resin in its liquid state (before curing) is a health hazard and can cause many problems ranging from allergic reactions to cancer.

The long aliphatic chains of the liquid epoxy often get tangled up with each other and can be harmful because they are not easily biodegradable.

Once the catalyst has reacted with the resin, the epoxy is cured and no longer harmful as it can be easily biodegraded by microbes.

Is it safe to use?

Yes, once the epoxy has hardened, it is non-toxic and you are free to use it or touch it without fear of harm.

How toxic is epoxy resin?

It’s important to note that epoxy resin does release harmful fumes during the curing process. These fumes are referred to as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).

Even though the amount of VOCs released is lower than other products such as paint, you should still take caution when working with it.

How long are epoxy fumes toxic?

So, this means that if you are using epoxy resin to cast table tops, river tables, or anything that has a large casting surface, it is recommended that your workspace have ventilation.

It is also recommended that you wear a respirator mask and gloves during the process so as not to inhale any fumes. If you don’t have access to a big space with good ventilation be sure to only work on small projects in an enclosed space and not for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Should you wear a mask when using epoxy?

Wearing a mask is an important step in ensuring the use of epoxy resin is as safe as possible.

Ensure that you wear a P2 rated mask that filters out particles smaller than 2 microns. These masks are available at hardware stores and can be purchased for under $20. It’s important to ensure that the mask fits your face properly if it doesn’t, do not use it.

In addition to wearing a mask, we’d recommend wearing eye protection and gloves too when working with resin – we’ll discuss this more later on in the article. You should also work in a well-ventilated area (i.e open windows, outside or with fans circulating air).

How do you ventilate a room for epoxy?

  • Open all windows and doors while you’re working with epoxy resin; don’t close them until the epoxy is thoroughly dry.
  • Use fans to circulate air. Place them near open doors and windows to draw fresh air into the room and push out noxious fumes.
  • Invest in an air purifier with a HEPA filter. This will not only help clean the air during your resin work, it can also help if you have stuffy allergies or asthma as well, especially in winter when you’re running heaters constantly—it’ll all get pretty stale otherwise! (I love my Dyson Pure Cool.)
  • Even better than a basic HEPA-filter purifier is an “air scrubber,” which works like a mini power plant for cleaning up indoor air pollution, including VOCs released by epoxies and other solvents. I’m talking about something like this one from Air Quality Engineering (AQE). It will set you back quite a bit but could be worth it for serious hobbyists who need to do frequent epoxy work or anyone who has concerns about their indoor environment due to health issues such as respiratory difficulties.

Are epoxy fumes flammable?

The epoxy fumes that come from the curing process are flammable, so they should be kept away from open flames. Also, remember to do the mixing and pouring of your epoxy in a well-ventilated area.

You should also make sure that children and pets are not anywhere near the epoxy during its mixing or curing stages. Wearing a mask is another smart way to protect your respiratory system from inhaling any fumes.

And when you’re working with epoxy, protective gloves and eyewear are also strongly recommended.


So now you know what you should do to be safe when working with epoxy resin. You can’t use it in a tiny room or inside a box, but you can use it in a well ventilated room!

Epoxy resin is only toxic during the curing process, so make sure to get all that resin out of your lungs and maybe wear gloves if you’re worried about getting chemicals on your hands.

Epoxy resin is an awesome substance, with lots of uses! Just remember that while it’s super cool, it can also be dangerous if used incorrectly. Use common sense when working with epoxy resin and don’t try to eat it because we both know that won’t end well for anyone involved.

Photo of author

Martin Flood

Martin Flood has been working in the construction industry for over 20 years as a general contractor with expertise in remodeling projects that are large or small. He has furthered his career by specializing in epoxy resin flooring, providing excellent service to both commercial and residential clients. Martin’s experience enables him to offer professional advice on how to choose the right type of project based on your needs and budget.

Leave a Comment