Epoxy flooring can be a great addition to your home. It provides an incredibly durable surface that is resistant to scratches, and wear and tear and is also waterproof so it won’t damage if you spill something on it.
The only problem with this type of coating is that it can be difficult to apply yourself without professional help. In this article we will go through some steps for applying Rustoleum Epoxyshield in your home:
How do you apply epoxy floor finish?
- Clean the floor. The first step to applying epoxy floor finish is cleaning the surface. It’s important to remove all dust, grime, and dirt from your floors before applying epoxy so that it will stick well and look its best.
- Apply epoxy to the floor with a roller or brush. Once your floors are clean, you can apply epoxy by rolling it on or brushing it on with a paintbrush (if using an oil-based epoxy).
- Allow to dry for 24 hours before applying a second coat of finish or sanding between coats if using the oil-based product; allow 48 hours for water base finishes before re-coating or sanding between coats
Table of Contents
How do you apply Rustoleum epoxy clear coat?
When applying the clear coat, you’ll want to use a foam roller for large areas and a paint pad for hard-to-reach spots.
To apply the clear coat:
- Use a clean, dry brush to apply an even layer of epoxy resin over all previously coated surfaces with minimal overlap. Let it cure for 48 hours before walking on it or driving on it (in cases where that makes sense).
How long does it take for Rustoleum Epoxyshield to dry?
It will dry in 24 hours if you opt for a thicker coat (three coats) but can take up to 48 hours for the first coat. Once it’s fully dry, however, you should be able to walk on it with shoes.
If you need something even more durable and are willing to wait another day or so, we recommend giving the floor an additional coat or two of epoxy sealer so that it can really stand up to wear and tear over time.
How do you epoxy a floor step by step?
Epoxy floor coating is a two-part system that consists of an epoxy resin and a hardener. This can be applied to the floor, which can be done by following the steps below:
- Prepare the surface by cleaning it thoroughly with soap and water, followed by rinsing off any standing water with a wet mop. When you’re satisfied with the cleanliness of your floor, wipe it dry using cotton cloths or paper towels.
- Mix equal amounts of each component together in a separate container until they’re blended smoothly together. Allow time for this mixture to cure before applying it to your floor; however, if you have already mixed up enough epoxies (i.e., if there’s no excess left over), then go ahead and apply them right away!
Can I do epoxy floor yourself?
The answer is yes, you can do it yourself. The Rustoleum Epoxyshield product is a two-part epoxy that is easy to use and very durable. It’s also water resistant so you don’t have to worry about flooding or other water damage.
You can use this product if you want to refinish your garage floor, basement floor, basement walls, or other areas in your home that are made of concrete.
The Rustoleum Epoxy floor kit comes with everything you need to get started with your project:
- The 2-Part epoxy resin system
- A wide variety of colors (black, silver metallic & many more)
- Fast curing speed
Can I apply epoxy with a brush?
The recommended method for applying epoxy is with a roller, but you can also use a brush in some circumstances.
Small areas and corners will require the brush, as well as edges and the bottoms of holes. We recommend using a 4-inch squeegee for any large gaps between where you apply epoxy and where you want it to go (like between floorboards).
How do you apply Rustoleum floor top coat?
- Prepare the surface. Before you apply the epoxy, it’s important to remove any debris from your floor. Use a hand brush and vacuum cleaner to sweep up any loose dirt or dust, then damp mop the floor with warm water and mild detergent (no ammonia). Allow it to dry completely before continuing with this step.
- Apply the epoxy. Once your floor is clean and dry, use one of our Rust-Oleum® Epoxy Resin & Hardener Kits® to create a high-quality finish that’s durable enough for heavy traffic areas like garages and basements! We recommend using an 18″ or 24″ roller for best results when applying epoxy coating over large areas like garage floors or basements; however, if you’re only covering small spots like bathrooms or utility rooms then an inexpensive paint brush will work just fine as well! In general, it takes about 30 minutes for each coat so make sure you plan ahead accordingly based on how much space needs covering before starting each application process (for instance if you need three coats then do 1/3rds at once). If any bubbles appear during application simply smooth them out using your fingertips until they disappear completely—we recommend wearing gloves while doing this as they offer greater control while working around edges where there may be some excess material left over after applying the first coat.
We hope that this article was helpful to you. Now we want to hear from you – what did we miss? Are there any other questions that we can answer for you? Let us know in the comments below!