I’m super excited to be making my very first resin project! And you? It’s a great way to make beautiful and practical items for your home.
But before we get started, there are a few things that I need to tell you about how much resin is needed for a rolling tray or tumbler.
Keep reading if you want to know more about the basics of working with this material, from choosing the right kind and amount of resin to sealing the surface once it’s been poured out onto your chosen surface.
Table of Contents
What do you need to make a resin rolling tray?
To make a resin rolling tray, you will need:
- Plastic resin. You can find this at most craft stores in the jewelry-making section. It comes in small bottles and is usually labeled “plastic resin.” Be sure to look for plastic resin! If you use acrylic or epoxy, your rolling tray won’t be as strong or durable over time as one made with plastic resin.
- A plastic tray. Any brand will do; just make sure it’s wide enough to fit your rolling pin on and deep enough that the oil doesn’t spill off while you’re using it (the tray should be half an inch deeper than the size of your oil bottle). This should be labeled “plastic” somewhere on its packaging; if not, it may not be safe for food use! Some people recommend using a baking sheet instead of buying a special mat—this method could work but might result in some oil leaking through onto other surfaces below (your countertop), so only attempt these steps if you want an extra challenge (or if your budget does not allow for something nicer).
How much resin is in a serving tray?
A typical serving tray is about 16 ounces in volume. This means that you’ll need about 3-4 oz of resin to fill up your tray.
If you’re making your own rolling tray, it’s important to know how much resin is needed for one before buying a large container.
For example, if you buy a 32 oz container of resin and use all of it by making three 16-ounce trays, you’re going to have more leftovers than you anticipated—and these extra bits can be hard to store and difficult to use later on.
In general, though, most people find themselves using a single 16-ounce container per project instead of two or three times as much material.
How much does 16 oz of resin cover?
If you have a 16 oz bottle of resin, it will cover about 3 square feet. So if you’re doing a project that is 20″ x 20″, then you’ll need to use about 1/4 of your bottle to complete it.
A typical project that is 12″ x 12″ can be done with one-third of your resin, and projects that are 6″ x 6″ require only one-sixth of the bottle (or half as much as the larger projects).
How much epoxy resin do I need for a tumbler?
If you are making a tumbler and need to know how much epoxy resin to use, the answer is not more than what fits into the tumbler.
To make sure that you have enough resin for your project, measure out a cup of epoxy and pour it into your measuring cup.
If it fills up most of the container, then that’s probably a good amount for one tumbler. If it doesn’t fill up much space at all, then try adding another 1/4 cup or so of resin to ensure that there’s enough material in there to properly cure without creating air bubbles between coats (which could lead to cracks).
What materials do I need to make a rolling tray?
You’ll need a few things:
- Plastic resin. This is the clear, flexible plastic that you can buy at any craft store or online. It’s non-toxic and smells like playdough, but it’s not edible—don’t eat it!
- A cardboard box. You can get these at your local grocery store or big-box retailer. The bigger the better—you’ll want plenty of room for all your supplies and materials!
- Paper towels or rags to protect surfaces while working with resin
Can you put food on a resin tray?
You can put food on a resin tray, but that’s not what they’re actually meant for.
Resin trays are primarily used as mold-forming tools. If you have an idea for a custom work of art or something else that requires a three-dimensional shape, then this is the tool to use in order to make it happen.
You can also use one with other materials like play dough or salt dough! It all depends on what your project needs and what material works best in your case.
How do you seal a rolling tray?
Once you have your resin, it’s time to seal the tray. You’ve probably noticed that there are a lot of options out there! Some people use epoxy resin, others use polyurethane, and some even make their own concoctions from various household items.
The best sealer is one that can withstand a lot of abuse—especially water. The last thing you want is for your rolling tray to become ruined when it comes into contact with water or anything else that could damage the surface (like hot tea).
Make sure that whatever sealer you choose is food-safe, resistant to moisture, and non-toxic so as not to affect anyone who uses the rolling tray—or any other surfaces in contact with the material inside it!
How do you make a resin tray mold?
- To make a resin tray mold, you’ll need:
- A sheet of glass or plastic (a baking sheet works well)
- Something to pour the resin into (a cup or bowl)
- Optional: Resin release spray for easier removal of your cured molds
We hope you’ve learned a lot from this article. We know it was a lot of information to take in all at once, but don’t worry—we can definitely walk you through how your resin rolling tray is made! To recap, here are the main points:
- You can make your own tumbler by purchasing a large clear plastic container and filling it with epoxy resin. This will form an airtight seal when it dries (which should happen within 24 hours).
- If you want to use your new rolling tray for actual smoking purposes, then make sure that any leftover resin gets scraped off before using or storing it as normal.