So you’ve heard about resin, and you want to know if it works in candles. The answer is: it depends! Resin comes in many different forms, each of which has its own properties that make it good or bad for candle making.
In this post, we’ll explain how to use resin in wax and what type of resin may work best for your needs.
How do you use resin in candles?
To get started, you’ll need to know how much resin you should use. It all depends on the type of candle and its purpose. Here are some guidelines:
- Small amounts of Resin in Wax: For small candles that will be used for special occasions or as a gift, use about 1/2 teaspoon per pound of wax (1 oz = 28 g). If making larger candles for home decorating or for guests to enjoy during the holidays, use about 2 teaspoons per pound of wax (1 oz = 28 g).
- Small Amounts of Resin in Candle: You can add resin by itself (without adding any other ingredients) to your candle if you want a simple project with no extra steps involved. We recommend using ¼ ounce (7/8 teaspoon) per 8-oz batch when doing this method!
- Large Amounts of Resin in Candle: Adding too much resin will cause your candle to burn unevenly because it can’t burn off quickly enough before hardening again. For best results with large batches, we recommend using ½ ounce (12 teaspoons) per 16-oz batch instead–just make sure there’s still plenty left over so that everyone gets something!
Table of Contents
Does resin melt in wax?
So, you may be wondering… Does resin melt in wax?
The short answer: no. Resin is not a wax and therefore does not melt in wax. The long answer is a bit more complicated. While some resins are used as additives for candlemaking, the vast majority of resin used for candles comes from trees (pine pitch) or plants (vanilla bean).
However, it’s important to note that these materials have different chemical compositions than standard WAXES AND PASTELS
Does resin melt in heat?
- Yes, resin will melt in heat.
- Yes, resin will burn.
- Yes, resin will release fumes and smoke when it melts or burns.
Is all resin heat resistant?
Resin is a thermosetting polymer, which means it will harden when heated. It can be used in candles, but the resin must be heat resistant and able to withstand the heat of the candle flame.
Is resin flammable?
Resin is non-flammable. That means it will not light on fire at room temperature. However, when heated enough to ignite and burn, resin becomes combustible.
This has long been known to be true for other materials such as glass or ceramic that also do not catch flame at room temperature but can be ignited with a hot enough flame or spark (think of how a candle in a glass jar burns out).
Resin is also not toxic, corrosive, reactive, radioactive, or explosive.
Can resin burn?
Resin burns with low heat, a low flame, low smoke, and a smell. This means that it is safer than most other candle waxes.
This allows them to melt into each other and create an even layer on top of your wick while they’re burning (instead of getting clogged up).
While there may be some black marks left behind after burning your candle—these will wash away easily when cleaning up the jar!
Can you mix wax with resin?
You can mix wax with resin. Resin is a liquid that’s used in many different ways. It’s not a wax, though—it’s actually a mixture of different chemicals. You’ve probably seen it on the market for making candles and resin jewelry.
What does resin do in wax?
Resin is naturally-occurring oil from plants, trees, or animals. When combined with wax it produces a hard shell that can be used in candles to add color and scent.
It’s also used for creating a harder surface on candles. Unlike waxes, resins melt at a higher temperature than those of beeswax and soy wax.
Resin is a great way to add color and scent to candles. It can be mixed with wax or added after the wax has melted down and cooled down again, depending on the type of resin you’re using.
Resin does not have any special properties that will cause it to melt or burn differently than other types of waxes, but there are some safety precautions that need to be taken when using them around open flames!