Epoxy flooring has been around for quite some time. In fact, epoxy was used as far back as the 1930s to coat the floors of airplanes.
It was a game changer then and still is today because coatings that were once only available in colors like gray and black are now offered in all sorts of colors, including metallic finishes.
So if you want your garage floor to stand out from the rest, consider using an epoxy coating for it!
How do you apply epoxy to concrete floor?
- Prepare the concrete:
a. Give it a good scrub down with a stiff brush and water to get rid of any grease or oils that might have accumulated on its surface.
b. Remove any loose particles and dust from the floor with a vacuum cleaner before applying epoxy so that they don’t show up after your coats of clear coat are applied (or worse, scratch the surface).
- Apply epoxy:
a. Use an epoxy mixture of 1 part resin to 2 parts hardener by weight (e.g., if you have one liter of each component at hand, mix them together in an even ratio by volume).
You can also use premixed kits like this one from Rust-Oleum for convenience (but be aware that these may not be ideal for outdoor projects).
Table of Contents
- How do you apply epoxy to concrete floor?
- Can you put an epoxy floor over concrete?
- Can I do epoxy floor yourself?
- Is it hard to epoxy concrete floor?
- How do you prepare concrete for epoxy?
- What are the disadvantages of epoxy flooring?
- Do I need to seal concrete before epoxy?
- How long do Epoxy floors last?
Can you put an epoxy floor over concrete?
Concrete flooring is one of the most popular flooring options for homes, commercial spaces, and other buildings. There are many advantages to concrete flooring including:
- It is durable and won’t dent easily
- It provides good thermal insulation for your home or building
- It can be polished in a variety of different ways to give it a unique look that suits your taste
Can I do epoxy floor yourself?
You can actually do your own epoxy floor. It takes some time, but it’s not as hard as you might think. First, here are a few tips that will help you:
- When buying epoxy, make sure to buy 1-part liquid epoxy and not 2-part or 5-gallon bucket solution. You need both parts of the mixture to be mixed together before they start curing (hardening).
- Use water resistant gloves when mixing the two parts together because they tend to get really sticky on your hands while waiting for them to cure.
- When applying epoxy paint or coating onto concrete floors, make sure that each coat is fully dry before applying another layer on top so there won’t be any lumps or bubbles in between coats of this type of job!
Is it hard to epoxy concrete floor?
Epoxy is a two-part resin that is mixed together to make a hard, durable surface. It can be used on floors, walls, countertops and other surfaces.
Epoxy resin systems have been used in the construction industry for over 40 years because they provide an economical alternative to other types of floor finishings while offering outstanding durability and performance characteristics that meet or exceed most building codes.
Is it hard to epoxy concrete floor? Well yes and no. It depends on how much experience you have with mixing two parts together, but if you follow my instructions step by step you will be fine!
How do you prepare concrete for epoxy?
There are a few things you need to do before you apply epoxy. The first thing is to prepare the concrete floor.
This includes cleaning it and removing any debris and oil or grease stains, waxes, paints or varnishes, and polyurethane coatings on the floor.
You also need to remove any dirt and dust from the surface of the concrete to get an even coat when applying epoxy over it.
What are the disadvantages of epoxy flooring?
- Epoxy flooring is expensive.
- Epoxy flooring takes time to install and cure (the amount of time varies depending on the brand you choose).
- Epoxy flooring can be messy to apply, clean up and maintain (it can also cause some minor damage to floors that aren’t properly prepared).
- You’ll need special tools for installation and cleanup, including a respirator mask for breathing protection during application if using a two-component epoxy kit
Do I need to seal concrete before epoxy?
Yes, you will need to seal concrete before epoxy.
You’ll want to clean the floor with a pressure washer. This will remove any dirt and grease from the surface of your concrete.
Next, you can apply a penetrating sealer if you already have a stain or other discoloration on your concrete surface.
If not, we recommend applying ColorBond’s Concrete Stain Enhancer with Resin for best results in color saturation and adhesion.
Use a paintbrush or roller to evenly spread the enhancer over all areas of the floor (follow instructions on the label).
How long do Epoxy floors last?
Epoxy flooring is a great option for concrete because it makes your concrete look like a wood floor.
It’s also durable and long-lasting, which means that it can withstand the wear and tear of everyday life.
The good news is, epoxy flooring is more resistant to stains and scratches than plain concrete, so you don’t have to worry about damaging your new floors on purpose or by accident.
After following these steps and making sure your concrete is dry, you will have a beautiful new floor. If your project was bigger than expected, it may take more than one coat of epoxy coating to fully cover the area.
Be patient and keep up with the process! If you don’t like the results of your first coat, sand down any areas where there are bubbles or drips then start over again until they look perfect.