If you’re working on a project that requires filling in cracks or stains, you may be wondering how to get your wood filler to match the rest of the wood in your home.
It’s possible to stain wood filler if you want it to look like stained wood, but most people prefer their fillers to look like they’re made from natural materials rather than dyed plastic.
In this article, I’ll walk through all the different ways that you can stain wood filler and discuss how each method works best depending on what kind of project you’re working on.
Can you stain wood filler to match?
Yes, you can stain wood filler to match. Let’s look at how to do it:
- Stain the wood filler the same way you would stain the floor. Apply a stain-and-polyurethane mixture such as Minwax Polycrylic or another oil-based polyurethane, using a brush for small areas or a roller for larger ones. Allow it to dry according to manufacturer instructions and then sand lightly with fine grit paper (220 grit). Wipe off any dust that remains on the surface of the filler and let dry again before moving on to staining your flooring boards.
- Mix up some leftover stain from your previous project with equal parts clear varnish (or tung oil if you are working in an old house). Apply this mixture over all surfaces of your boards in order to build up their color gradually over time so they will match when they’re done drying out completely (about 24 hours).
Table of Contents
- Can you stain wood filler to match?
- How do I match a wood filler floor?
- Should wood filler match the wood or stain?
- How do you make wood filler look like stained wood?
- How do you change the color of wood filler?
- How do you stain Minwax wood filler?
- Why is my wood filler not staining?
- Can you stain Elmer’s wood filler?
How do I match a wood filler floor?
You can use a stain marker to match the color of your wood filler. A stain marker is a product that comes in an ink pen, like a Sharpie. It has a special non-toxic formula that allows you to create custom colors on your wood filler.
You’ll want to start by applying the stain marker on some scrap pieces of wood filler first. Test out different applications and drying times until you find one that works best with your particular brand of wood filler.
Once you have found the right method for applying and drying time, go ahead and apply it to your floor!
Should wood filler match the wood or stain?
If you’re trying to match a dark wood floor and are using a lighter-colored wood filler, you may need to apply more coats of stain.
The color of your wood filler depends on the type of wood filler you use. If you’re trying to match a light color, then it’s best that you use a lighter-colored wood filler too.
How do you make wood filler look like stained wood?
If the filler is a dark color, choose a stain that is lighter. If the filler is too light for your taste, choose one that’s darker.
If your choice of wood filler happens to be very close to the color of your floor and you want it to be more distinct, use a stain that has more of an orange hue instead of red or yellow (which will make it look even closer).
How do you change the color of wood filler?
You can change the color of wood filler by using a stain that is darker, lighter, or the same color as the wood filler.
To make your job easier, I recommend using a colored stain that matches your desired floor color as close as possible.
In this example, we’ll use Benjamin Moore’s “Pecan Hull” since it has a nice reddish hue to it and will match our floors well.
How do you stain Minwax wood filler?
To stain the Minwax wood filler, use a foam brush to apply the stain. You can also use an old toothbrush to get into tight spaces. Use a rag to wipe off excess stain and let it dry for at least 24 hours before using it.
Why is my wood filler not staining?
The reason your wood filler is not staining the same as your floor is that it’s not actually wood. Wood filler is made of a different material than flooring, so it will stain differently.
In order to get your filler to match the color of your floor, you need to use a stain that is designed for use on wood filler.
Can you stain Elmer’s wood filler?
If you’re looking to stain Elmer’s wood filler, there are a few things to keep in mind. First of all, the product is water-based and therefore will not take paint very well. It can be stained with water-based stain though!
Secondly, it should be noted that while staining can make your Elmer’s filler look better than it did before (especially if you have to repair a lot of damaged areas), this fix is temporary and will eventually wear out again.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to stain wood filler. It’s a great product that can save you time and money, but it does require some special care when staining so that it looks just like stained wood.
If you have any more questions about the process of staining your floor or another project, feel free to contact us!