When you’re looking for a way to beautify your home, it can be tempting to use acrylic paint on epoxy tumblers. But is this something you should do? The short answer is yes, but only if you’re careful about it.
In this article, we’ll explain why acrylic paints work so well with epoxy tumblers—and why they don’t always work so well.
Table of Contents
Can I use acrylic paint in epoxy tumbler?
No, acrylic paint is not compatible with epoxy resin. You can only use clear or white paints on your tumbler because they’re water-based and won’t react with the epoxy.
However, if you have an acrylic tumbler and want to paint it, you can use any colors of acrylic paint as long as it will dry within 24 hours before placing in the tumbler.
Does epoxy resin react with acrylic paint?
You can’t use acrylic paints on epoxy resin. Acrylic paint is water-based, while epoxy resin is solvent-based. You’ll also find that acrylic paint isn’t intended to be applied directly to metal surfaces, but rather as a topcoat over another material like wood or metal.
So even if you did try to use it on your tumbler and could get it to stick long enough for the coating to dry, it would probably flake off within a few days.
Acrylic paints are not a good choice for tumblers because they won’t stand up well in the dishwasher or microwave ovens and may peel when used in those high-heat environments.
Can you use acrylic paint on acrylic tumblers?
Yes, you can use acrylic paint on acrylic tumblers. Acrylic paint is a water-based type of paint that will not stick to epoxy resin or stainless steel. It also won’t stick to glass, plastic or other nonporous surfaces.
Acrylic paints are generally used by children and teens because they’re easy to clean up after use and don’t require special equipment like oil paints do (they are however more expensive).
Does acrylic paint stay on epoxy?
- Yes, acrylic paint will stick to epoxy. Acrylic paints are water-based and compatible with epoxy.
- No, acrylic paint will not stay on the epoxy long term. You can try sealing it with an oil-based sealer or wax to make it last longer, but this is not a good solution because it may cause damage over time to the surface of your product and be tough to remove when ready for re-use.
What kind of paint do I use for tumblers?
Acrylic paint is the most popular choice for tumblers. It’s easy to find, easy to use, non-toxic, water based and easy to clean up.
There are many different brands of acrylic paints on the market today but some of the most popular include: Liquitex, Montana, Golden and Paints by Becky at The Grapevine Crafts.
How do you seal acrylic paint on stainless steel?
>The first step in sealing your acrylic paint is to clean the surface. Make sure there’s no wax or oil on it, as this will create a barrier that prevents you from sealing in the paint. If you’re painting over an existing finish, make sure it’s dry and free of dirt before proceeding.
>Once your surface is clean and dry, apply a coat of clear sealant (such as polyurethane) with a brush or roller damped in mineral spirits and let it dry completely before applying another coat if necessary.
You can also use spray paint for this step; just make sure that you’re using something like Rust-Oleum Specialty Interior/Exterior Gloss Spray Paint so that it won’t chip off when you go to peel off your labels later!
Can acrylic paint be used on resin?
No, acrylic paint is not compatible with epoxy resin. Acrylic paint is designed to be used with other acrylics, but it will not stick to epoxy resin.
What can I use to color epoxy resin?
To color epoxy resin, the answer is yes! There are many different ways to color your epoxy resin. Here are some of the most popular:
- Acrylic Paint: Use regular acrylic paints for this project. It will work great!
- Oil Paint: Oil paint can be used but it will take longer to dry and cure than regular acrylic paints would because oil dries slower than water-based or latex based paints do. If you’re going to use an oil based product, make sure that it’s compatible with your type of epoxy resin first before using it!
- Mod Podge: This is a glue that can be spread over any surface and then sealed down with another layer of paper (or other material) so that nothing leaks out from underneath when curing in UV light! You’ll want something flat enough for this–like glass jars–but there are other options available as well such as plastic cups or bottles filled up 3/4 full with water..etc., depending on what type of look you’re going after 🙂
Acrylic paints can be used on epoxy resin, but they may not be the best option. I would recommend using the paint that comes with the tumbler instead of buying different types of paint that might not work well with your project.
The best way to seal acrylic paint is by using an industrial sealant or clear coat finish, but there’s no need for special preparation before applying these products!