Adding clear epoxy resin to wood may bring out the intricacy in the grain, or adding coloured epoxy next to the wooden pieces can really make them pop, making for some lovely creations when working with wood and epoxy resin.It’s not hard to see why epoxy resin and woodworking have become so popular in recent years.
Best 5 how to use epoxy resin on wood
Epoxy resin and wood may be used to make just about anything; I’ve seen Resin Tables, Resin/Wood Chopping Boards, Skateboards, Surfboards, Bookmarks, Jewellery, and the list goes on. It’s also great for giving new life to used wooden furniture through the process of upcycling; you can paint or stain it in any number of colors and designs.
Table of Contents
- Best Overall: Crystal Clear Casting | MAS Table Top Pro (1-Gallon Kit)
- Best Design: Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear, Food Safe Craft Resin
- Value For Money: Clear Table Top Epoxy Resin That Self Levels
- Best Budget Pick: Teexpert 16 oz. Epoxy Resin Kit – Crystal Clear Resin
- Good Features: Amazon Basics Rubber Encased Hex Dumbbell Hand Weight
Can you recommend a suitable type of wood?
Quite a few species of wood can be used with epoxy resin. Before working on a larger scale, you may wish to test out how various woods look after being coated with epoxy resin by experimenting with a scrap piece. Epoxy resin gives the wood a moist appearance, which can make the finished product look darker than it did before its application.
In spite of the fact that most woods can be used with epoxy resin, the flattest piece of live wood you can locate is one of the best woods to utilize; woods like Yew, Elm, Oak, or Black Walnut look particularly good when used with epoxy resin.
Before applying epoxy resin, be sure the wood you use has a moisture content of less than 12%. Epoxy glue is sensitive to moisture, and even a small amount of it might cause problems.
Knowledge of woodworking is helpful for a variety of undertakings; while certain tasks need specialized expertise and expensive equipment, others can be accomplished with fewer resources but still dazzle onlookers.In this article, we’ll examine the fundamentals of working with wood & epoxy resin, and we’ll show you the ropes so you may dip your toes into the water.
Should I just use the wood as is, or does it require any further preparation?
Wooden projects require some prep work before the epoxy resin can be applied. Simply sanding down one of the aforementioned woods will allow the epoxy resin to attach to it; just use sandpaper with a grit of 80–120 and remove any sanding dust before applying the resin.
In order for the epoxy resin to properly adhere to a wooden substrate, such as an MDF board, a primer such as Gesso, or a regular emulsion or acrylic paint must be painted on and allowed to dry for at least two weeks. Because of their high porosity, MDF and other porous woods will soak up the resin even if you don’t use a primer. Again, you can determine whether or not the wood you have needed this additional process by testing an offset piece.
Coating a wooden board onto which you have painted artwork requires the paint to dry completely before the resin can be applied; this can be a lengthy process, depending on the paint used and the number of layers. Waiting too long is preferable to waiting too briefly. If you’re selling a piece and need to complete it by a given date, be upfront with the buyer about the fact that resin creation takes longer. That way, everyone’s expectations will be realistic, and you won’t have to rush through any steps. Sending images and updates of the project’s development helps keep people interested if it’s going to take a lengthy time.
Should I set up a workspace?
Before you can apply the resin to your wooden crafts, though, you’ll need to set up a proper workspace. Epoxy resin is a fluid that is extremely sticky and can leave a mess that isn’t always easy to clean up, especially if it gets on something like a carpet. Prior to pouring any resin, please ensure that all surfaces & flooring have been covered with plastic.
For the first 24 hours of curing time, the epoxy resin also requires a controlled temperature in the workplace and curing environment (longer if creating large projects, thick projects, or multiple layered projects). Epoxy resin has a temperature range of 21-24 degrees Celsius (70-75 degrees Fahrenheit), with 21 being the optimal working temperature.
Controlling the workspace is especially challenging when working on larger wooden projects; if you’re working with wood, you might be in a shed/garage area, in which case you’ll want to consider heating solutions that can be put in place to maintain the temperature consistent during this stage.
Keeping a wood shed/workshop spotless is equally important, though challenging. Due to the adhesive nature of epoxy resin, any stray particles in the surrounding environment are nearly guaranteed to find their way into your finished product if your workshop isn’t spotless. Before adding the resin part, make sure the area is as clean as possible.
Can I pour it all at once, or do I need to work in layers?
Craft Resin was originally developed as a coating resin, one that may be used to coat artwork and other thin products. Nonetheless, it can be utilized to make thicker and even bigger projects, albeit doing so will require working in layers.
How long till it heals?
Though our instructions recommend waiting 24 hours before removing the item from the mold or moving it, the actual curing period will vary based on the thickness of the project, the number of layers, and the temperature of the curing location. Curing time increases with the number of layers and the temperature of the working area.
If you’re not sure, it’s recommended to wait at least 72 hours before attempting to relocate the mold or remove it. If your project still hasn’t been cured after this period, it’s possible that you messed up one of the fundamental procedures. If you’re having trouble with curing, check out our blog post on “The Basics of How to Use Craft Resin’s Epoxy Resin” to make sure you’ve followed all the necessary procedures.
Epoxy resin sculptures can take training and experience to perfect, so it’s okay if you make mistakes along the way; they’re all part of the learning curve and will help you become a better resin artist in the future.
What need I do to complete the wooden/resin structure?
After you remove the mold from your creation, you may need to smooth off any excess resin that seeped out of the seams or bubbled up where repairs were made. You may get the wood and resin object in pristine condition by using sandpaper to even the edges & top, increasing the grit to make it as smooth as possible, and finishing with a polishing tool.
You may need to treat the wood if you intend to use it as a food surface; further investigation on the appropriate treatment for the wood you’ve used in your project is in order.To avoid the hassle of treating or sanding the wood, just pick up a pre-treated wooden chopping board from the store and add some resin bling to one corner or side. Creating A Simple Wood/Resin Chopping Board For Beginners is a free course that explains how to make a chopping board out of wood and resin from scratch, or you can watch a free video on YouTube that does the same thing.
Excellent woodworking epoxy resin
The type of epoxy you purchase must match the needs of your woodworking project exactly. How long it takes to dry (especially if creating wood countertops with woodwork seams and a DIY Epoxy Resin Table), how many layers are necessary, and how much wood epoxy resin you need are all factors to think about before making your purchase (more about this further down).
Epoxy resins come in a variety of varieties and strengths, some of which harden more quickly than others, some of which create a more glass-like texture, and others that need to be mixed before use. Pigments can be used to color some of them but not others. Determine in advance which epoxies will serve your woodworking project best.
Woodworking epoxy by MakerPoxy
In 8 oz, pint, quarter, and gallon sizes, MakerPoxy Crystal Clear Artist’s Resin by Jess Crow is our top recommendation and can be purchased via Total Boat or Amazon. Based on 66 reviews, 86% of customers would suggest this to a friend, giving it an average review score of 4.7 stars.
Among MakerPoxy’s many advantages are:
- A scratch-proof, glasslike sheen
- Able to take dyes from a wide variety of sources, including intense liquid pigments, opaque pigments, alcohol inks, & mica powder colors
- Easy, one-to-one proportions.
- Larger pours benefit from the long working duration of up to 60 minutes at 77 °F.
- Yellowing and fading are prevented by the UV-resistant composition.
- Indoor usage is recommended for this low-VOC, low-odor formulation.
- The BPA-free formulation is perfect for final products that may come into contact with food.
- U.S.A. Originated
If you’re just starting out with epoxy, this is the easiest-to-work-with resin you’ll ever encounter.
Epoxy resin is being prepared for use.
In a well-ventilated environment, clean and dry your workspace to prepare it for use. Ensure that you are working on a flat surface. Get the protective tarp, poly sheeting, and/or flooring down first. Put on your goggles, gloves, safety clothing, and mask if you have one.
The next step is to prepare the epoxy resin. However, this will vary depending on the brand you use. MakerPoxy should be measured by weight or volume. MakerPoxy requires a ratio of 1:1 for the resin to the hardener if you’re using a volume measurement. To use MakerPoxy’s built-in scales, here are the five steps to take:
- MakerPoxy’s weight mix ratio is 100A:84B.
- Put the scale in gram mode.
- You should put your mixing cup on a scale and zero it out.
- Put in the amount of resin you want (Part A).
- Multiply the resin’s gram weight by.84 to get the amount of hardener (Part B). If you want to add hardener to a mixture that contains 45g of resin, you will multiply 45g by.84, or 37.8g.
The formula for effectively blending epoxy resin
It is recommended that you learn how to mix epoxies before beginning any woodworking projects. To make MakerPoxy, you need to stir it for 3 to 5 minutes at a slow pace. MakerPoxy has a total working duration of 60 minutes, but it is recommended that you only mix as much as you can use in 20 minutes. Avoid introducing air bubbles by stirring epoxy resin slowly. More air bubbles will be produced with a faster mix, such as whipping.
Then, get out a second container suitable for blending that you have rinsed and dried thoroughly. Slowly pour the mixture into the second machine and agitate it for another 2 to 3 minutes to eliminate any remaining air bubbles. Putting together wood epoxies is a breeze if you follow these basic instructions.
Coloring epoxy resin using additives.
Pigments can be added to epoxy resin to alter its color. To make more than one shade, you’ll need several smaller, dry, clean mixing cups. To do this, divide the epoxy into smaller cups and add a small bit at a time to the larger one, stirring slowly to ensure complete mixing after each addition. Start with a small amount of pigment and add more as needed to achieve the desired shade.
Putting Down Epoxy Resin
Inspect the surface to be poured to see if a thin coat of clear, pre-mixed epoxy needs to be applied first (s). Photos and other fragile items may need to be sealed before being embedded. After applying a thin sealant with a brush, epoxy can be poured directly onto the surface. Pouring and overcoating can be done in as many layers as you like, with the resin bubble-popping process in between.
The best method for eliminating bubbles in the resin
Epoxy’s air bubbles will float to the top as nature intended. Wait 10 minutes after pouring to allow the carbon dioxide to rise. Using a torch and heat gun is the most effective method for eliminating resin bubbles, although a hair dryer may suffice in a pinch. It is possible to remove air bubbles from the epoxy resin by rapidly moving a heat source, such as a torch or hair drier, across the material for a few seconds. Removing bubbles as soon as possible is preferable.
A heat gun is useful for eliminating air bubbles on the mold’s surface, but it will be difficult to get to the bubbles located in the mold’s base. A better solution is to work in batches to eliminate bubbles in the resin and then apply thinner layers. The blow dryer works the same way. It will be more challenging to reach and eradicate those resin bubbles deeper down due to the limited heat output of hair dryers (often around 140 degrees Fahrenheit).
Best Overall: Crystal Clear Casting | MAS Table Top Pro (1-Gallon Kit)
|Compatible Material||Wood, Glass|
|Item Volume||1892 Milliliters|
A high gloss finish is achieved when the Table Top Pro Epoxy resin kit is allowed to cure. Tabletops can be given a magnificent polish that looks like glass, and aged surfaces can be made to appear as though they are brand new.
Protect your counters and other hard surfaces with a tough clear finish to keep them appearing like they were just installed. The transparent resin that we use is highly resistant to scuffing and abrasion caused by everyday use.
- CRYSTAL CLEAR SHINE: Our Table Top Pro Epoxy resin kit cures to a high gloss shine. Get a stunning, glass-like finish on your tabletops and make weathered old surfaces look new again.
- EASY APPLICATION: Our 2-part resin epoxy kit uses a simple 1:1 mixing ratio by volume so you can easily measure the right amounts every time. It’s also self-leveling for a consistently even finish.
- PROTECTS AGAINST DAMAGE: Keep your counters and hard surfaces looking new by protecting them with a hard, clear coat. Our clear resin resists scuffing and scratching from normal wear and tear.
- GREAT FOR MOST SURFACES: Our countertop epoxy resin is ideal for tabletops, bar tops, wood furniture, signs, artwork, and more. From DIY crafts to River tables our epoxy resin is preferred by professionals but easy for beginners.
- SUITABLE FOR ARTISTIC FINISHES: Table Top Pro is compatible with color pigments, alcohol ink, and acrylic paints. Bring tired old pieces to life or create stunning designs with your layers.
- Very helpful in the workplace
- Awesome plastic!
- Not what I had hoped for
- Superb service from an outstanding manufacturer
- Fantastic outcomes. There weren’t many bubbles to be seen.
- Superior to collaborate with. I love that it’s simple to prepare.
- I’m disappointed, therefore, PLEASE DON’T BUY THIS ITEM.
- really bad
- Don’t throw away your cash
Best Design: Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear, Food Safe Craft Resin
|Item Package Quantity||1|
The ratio of one-to-one will lower the percentage of operational errors. In typical conditions, one application requires 18-24 hours to cure, and 35 ounces can cover 3.8 square feet at a thickness of 1/8 inch (0.125 inches). Because of their oil content, our resins should not be used with anything that contains water.
Zdspoxy Epoxy resin is produced using high-quality German raw materials; it is safe, non-toxic, and suitable for use in food-contact applications. Low-to-no odor, smokeless, VOC-free, and reliable operation. All of the company’s goods have received positive results from environmental testing conducted by SGS and RoHS, and the company itself has been awarded the ISO9001:2000 quality management system certification.
- 💎[Safety and environmental protection]: Zdspoxy Epoxy resin is made of high quality raw materials from Germany, safe and non-toxic, Zdspoxy Epoxy resin is safe for making products that come into contact with food. ultra-low odor, no smoke, no VOC, stable performance. The company has passed ISO9001:2000 quality management system certification, all products of the company have passed SGS, RoHS environmental testing report.
- 💎[Strong performance]: We have developed special formulations to make bubbles less, and maintain excellent clarity and gloss, high hardness, excellent UV resistance and self-leveling performance,and excellent Adhesion, good permeability and sealing ability to porous substrates, and casting, coating properties beyond ordinary resins.
- 💎[A variety of applications]: ZDSpoxy epoxy resin is suitable for a variety of projects, such as: table, countertop, Tumbler, floor, jewelry, crafts Items and other items on the surface.
- 💎[A variety of applications]: ZDSpoxy epoxy resin is suitable for a variety of projects, such as: table, countertop, Tumbler, floor, jewelry, crafts Items and other items on the surface.
- 💎[Protected service]: Not satisfied with 100% return. Each set contains 1 bottle of 17.6 oz epoxy resin (Part A) and 1 bottle of 17.6 oz Hardener (Part B) for a total of 35.2 oz. "
- Extremely lucid and user-friendly; surprisingly lightweight
- Superior to any other resin I’ve tried.
- Superior resin for any and all uses!
- Very user-friendly and effective with both color schemes.
- Not suitable for glasses or bottles
- Garbage! Stop buying!!! The very worst product ever!
- Not very high quality. No one follows instructions.
- Don’t buy it!
Value For Money: Clear Table Top Epoxy Resin That Self Levels
|Brand||Pro Marine Supplies|
We proudly manufacture in the USA, so you know you’re getting the highest quality product available, and it’s completely safe once cured. PERFECT ONE-TO-ONE MIX: The Epoxy resin you spent hours and money on might not level, might be full of bubbles, or might turn yellow, rendering your entire project useless. You may be sure that we’ve eliminated all the guesswork. The world is your canvas; this stuff is high gloss, U.V. resistant, and self-leveling.
Table Tops, Bars, Wood Finishes, See-Through Encapsulations, Art Work, the Only Limit is Your Imagination Table Tops, Bars, Wood Finishes, See-Through Encapsulations, Our bespoke formulation of epoxy produces very few bubbles, ensures a smooth application, and assists in the removal of fish eyes, craters, and a variety of other flaws.
- 💙FORMERLY PRO MARINE - Two of the most popular epoxy brands in the U.S. are joining forces to become one superpower, Promise Epoxy. ProMarine Supplies and Incredible Solutions are merging their best-performing and meticulously mastered formulas in order to become the new epoxy leader in the home decor and art industries. The same formulas you love, with a brand new look!
- 💎 PREMIUM CRYSTAL CLEAR EPOXY- Designed for Table Tops, Bars, Wood finishes, See-Through Encapsulations, Art work, only limited by your imagination. Our custom Epoxy formulation allows for minimal bubbles, goes on smooth, helps eliminate fish eyes, craters and various other imperfections. We only offer the best because that is what we use!
- ⭐ USA MANUFACTURED- It is Safe once fully and properly cured, Low odor because we proudly manufacture here so you can rest assured you are getting the very best product produced!
- 💦 EASY 1:1 MIXTURE: Imagine spending hours gathering your materials and spending your money just to have it all wasted because of Epoxy resin that doesn’t Level, is full of bubbles or starts turning yellow. REST ASSURED we’ve already done all the guess work for you. It’s High Gloss, U.V. Resistant, self leveling, the world is your canvas!
- 💪 ROCK HARD VERSATILITY - We ONLY Produce a Tough, High Gloss, Water Resistant Coating so you know when it counts, we have your back!
- Glass-like smoothness.
- The quality of this item is, without question, superb.
- What a high-quality resin for use as a tabletop!
- God, that’s awful!
- Excellent Collaborator
- It’s a big letdown.
- Don’t throw your money away.
Best Budget Pick: Teexpert 16 oz. Epoxy Resin Kit – Crystal Clear Resin
|Material||Epoxy Resin, Resin|
|Compatible Material||Wood, Glass, Metal|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
Epoxy coatings and cast resin artworks to benefit greatly from the use of the Teexpert art epoxy resin AB adhesive kit. Complete with clear, easy-to-follow directions, very easy cast resin epoxy is ideal for both amateur and seasoned artists.
Crystal clear epoxy resin and hardener set for use with jewelry tumblers, ideal for use with tabletop coating art crafts. Pieces made of metal, steel, wood, glass, eggs, flowers and the like can be displayed in a variety of settings. Slight odor when stirred; nontoxic, although protective gear is recommended for handling.
- Functionally simple
- make use of in your next Coaster Crafting Party
- It’s fantastic, this.
- Superb for do-it-yourselfers of all skill levels
- Miscalibrated self-leveling is an issue.
- the worst epoxy ever, and a Chinese ship
- fails to harden as expected
Good Features: Amazon Basics Rubber Encased Hex Dumbbell Hand Weight
|Compatible Material||Acrylics, Concrete, Glass, Wood, Metal, Flowers & Rocks|
|Special Feature||Scratch resistant, Certified Food Safe, Self Leveling, 1:1 Mixing Ratio, Dries Glossy – Fully Transparent, Heat Resistant Up To 200°F, Bubble Free, Advanced UV Protection, Odorless|
|Color||Crystal Clear (Transparent)|
- 💎 ARTISAN APPROVED QUALITY - Unlock your artistic potential with Craft Resin. Premium clear epoxy resin and hardener allows you to create beautiful pieces with a glass-like finish and no yellowing over time. Popular for DIY art, tabletop coating, mold casting, canvas, coasters and jewelry making.
- 💭 BUBBLE-FREE, NO YELLOWING - Are you tired of dealing with the frustration of bubbles and uneven finishes in your resin projects? Our advanced formula is an innovation on the epoxy resin market. Release air bubbles automatically when the resin is warm, recommended depth 1/4 inch.
- ✅ CERTIFIED, FOOD SAFE - Craft Resin epoxy made with a minimal odor, non-toxic, free of VOCs & solvent materials - food grade epoxy resin perfectly formulated for home and professional use. Harmless to you and the environment, when used as directed.
- 🔥 FAST CURING, HEAT RESISTANT - It takes only 24 hours for our crystal epoxy resin to cure. After this time it becomes rock hard, scratch resistant, advanced additive resistant to heat up to 203℉ (95℃). You’re going to have a crystal clear, glassy smooth finish which will last for years.
- 👨🎨 EASY TO USE, 1:1 RATIO - Our two part epoxy resin kit is simple to use, even for beginners. Kits include resin (17OZ), hardener (17OZ), reusable mixing stick, gloves, manual. Upgrade your resin game and elevate your art to the next level with Craft Resin supplies.
- Excellent Taste
- Intuitive operation; good for first-time users. Fantastic product.
- The highest-quality, least-fussy resin we’ve seen in three years.
- Superb quality!
- Wow, this is great!
- Horrible! I really hope there’s a way to get our money back!
- It’s no good for real roses or flowers.